Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Song of the Heart Part 2


In praise and worship, how do you "own" a song? By that, I am saying, causing the song to become so much a part of you, that as you sing, as you bring forth the music, that the ministry is deeper, richer, and the anointing stronger.
Several times, off and on, during the year, we conduct "Guitar Seminars" and in that a mix of "Praise and Worship" workshops. These are always enjoyable, but rewarding, more in seeing others "grow" in the talents that God has given each and every one.
But one lesson recently that I came across, and plan to add to these seminars and workshops is the lesson of learning to "own" the song. Simple steps are taken in doing so.
Step One: Who are the characters in the song? For example: usually there are 2 characters. You and God. When God is speaking in the song, normally, it will be referring to Him as "I" am singing to "You."
Step Two: Write the lyrics down, maybe even better, on a Word Perfect program on your computer. Then over certain words, right click, and find the words "symonyms" in that you get an amplified definition of that word. Thus bringing in a greater meaning to the words of the song.
Step Three: Meditate in Prayer these amplified words, then apply them to your heart, then "Own" the song as you sing.
An example of this, using the lyrics of "Reign on Me" from our "Revive Us" CD.
"A dry wind..." A spiritual desolate wind, a wind that pulls all the life out of you, a wind that brings down your heart into troubled times.. "Blows across the desert sand..." The heart has become like a desert, without water to refresh, without spiritual life, dying.. "Leaving behind a parched and thirsty land.." Our lives.. our heart..dried up and in great need of attention.. "Longing for relief from this heat..." A longing for relief in the fire of tests, trials, the fire of trouble. The pressure being applied and "the pressure being on" as they say.. "Longing for the healing touch of Your hand..." This is the knowing that the only relief in this situation is the hand of God to touch and to heal, to restore our lives. "Crying reign on me." Take complete control, place your guiding hands on the stern of my life.. "Crying, Lord heal me..." Completely heal, restore my life back to where it needs to be in your Hands.
I know this may sound kind of weird, but in using these symonyms, maybe you already see how much deeper a song can become by these steps. Now, as a musician, with these deeper definitions, I will in turn bring forth the song with passion, conviction, and allow God to move because, if you will, I have done my homework in learning to "own" this song.
The psalmist throughout the Psalms, writes, "Songs" from the heart. And in that I am very sure that if he were to define his words, they too would go very deep. Because the message of the Psalm is the Song of the heart, and is "Owned" by us all.
Next time you hear a song you like, or one that deeply touches your soul, try these steps, and see that the deeper spiritual side of the song is wider that you might think, and the lessons are incredible to what God is desiring to say to each and everyone of us. Grow in your talents that God has given! Allow yourself to be free in these talents, and do some research for some depth and background. Its truly rewarding!!!
The picture above, is a sight that I find myself in front of many times as I begin to write or work over a new song, at the foot of the cross. His Heart is my song. I want my life to be a song that sings of His love, His forgiveness, His peace. Because, as a song, I am "owned" by Him. There fore its a desire to "Glorify" Him.

No comments: