Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lay Hold of God's Promise

The first of three things to focus in on.... Lay hold of God's promise..

The Lord first says in Joshua chapter 1 verse 6: “Be strong and of good courage, for to this people you shall divide as an inheritance the land that I swore to their fathers.” The first focus is, “Be strong because I promised this.” The first principle of laying hold of tomorrow is to recognize that you are dealing in the arena of promise. That’s the starting place. “Lay hold of it because I have sworn it,” God says.

It brings to mind the sixth chapter of Hebrews where the writer is discussing God’s promise concerning the blessing of His people, and he writes in verse 18 of two “immutable things”: that it is impossible for God to lie, and that He not only gave His Word but also sealed it with an oath. In other words, God not only said, “I promise this,” He also said, “I promise to keep My promise.” God doesn’t need to say things twice, but He understands our nature and seals His promise with an oath so that we might lay hold of it with strength and courage.

The Lord is saying, “Joshua, I want you to be strong. And the reason you can be strong and lay hold of what I have for you is because I have sworn I will do this. Now you reach out and take hold of the promise.” The first principle of laying hold on tomorrow is to lay hold of the promise.
Would you just open your right hand? Take your Bible and get a grip on your Bible because that’s what we’re really talking about. Getting a grip on God’s Word. I’m not talking about understanding all of the Bible; I’m talking about getting a grip on the fact that God has made covenant with you. Get a grip on the promise.

In God’s Word, His Covenant there are promises that will fit your every situation. Then you lay hold on it and don’t go flabby. Your and my pathways into tomorrow shall not be navigated on the basis of iron will and strength of character. It will be navigated on the basis of the strength of God’s fulfilling His Word in people who lay hold of it and let that bear them along; it is the power of the Holy Spirit making the Word alive in them. Lay hold of His promises. Many times this is the NEW thing He is wanting to do, is for us to Lay Hold of What He says, Not what we think.

No comments: