Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Midway Between Disobedience and Obedience

Recently while in study, I came across and old article that was speaking on the subject of obedience. A teacher whom I have admired for years, Andrew Murray, was laying forth some thoughts on the definitions of "obedience." A point that caught my eye was a statement about the "Garden" in Genesis. How God removed Adam and Eve from the Garden and from the Tree of Life, because of "disobedience" to His command.

An the Lord God commended the man saying, Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in that day that you eat of it you shall surely die.......Then to Adam He said, Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, You shall not eat of it...... So He drove out the man: and He placed cheribum at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way to guard the way to the tree of life. (Genesis 2:16-17, 3:17, 24).

He pointed out that at the end of the Bible, in the Book of Revelation, that the way to the Tree of Life is made possible in the end, but by "obedience" to His command.

Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. (Rev 22:14)

He then showed how the "midway" point that made the difference was "The Cross of Christ."

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous. (Rom 5:19)

A point here, notice how it says, "by one Man's obedience..." Jesus was obedient to the cross, by so doing, we have an opportunity and a way to righteousness.

The thought then came to me, whether it be diobedience or obedience, we will go through the Cross for both decisions. Let me state why I thought that. We have been commanded by God, "Be ye holy for I am Holy..." We have been told throughout the Word of God to be obedient to His Word. Now when I choose to walk in disobedience, I have to walk across what I have been commanded and told "Not" to do. So, therefore I will walk through and by the Cross of Christ, and in so doing, take a walk of disobedience to His Word to get to the place I really should not be in. The same holds true for "obedience" when I come to a decision and in that walk the way I have been commanded, walk the way that is True, then I walk through and by the Cross of Christ. In that I walk a walk of obedience to His Word.

So the Midway Between Disobedience and Obedience is the Cross of Christ...

But also too.. Thank God for His love, thank God for His mercy, His Grace.. That when we do fall into disobedience, and need forgiveness, He tells us: "That if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins" (Rev 1:9). We must stay pointed to the cross, we must stay directed through the cross. We must stay guided by the cross. For it is there that our freedom lies, our life is found, our forgiveness is found in Christ.

Recently, with the release of our new cd "Reflections and Foundations" a song was given, "Your Amazing Grace" a song that to me is close to the heart. Using lines from "Amazing Grace" what was added is:

"Its your amazing grace that covers me... Its your grace that sets me free.. And I will sing this song all my life... cause I was blind but now I see..."

Personally, I am thankful for that Amazing Grace. I know the relief of being set free from bondage. I know the healing of wounds, I know the forgiveness of sin. I know that in obedience to His word, I must pass through the Cross of Christ.

Even though this blog is more of a thought article. It is a true article of a freedom we can all have. It is something we all need. His love and grace through the cross, but getting there is a path one must take, a path of obedience.

No comments: